Today we drove through the Palisades in Idaho, where Richard Brautigan was traveling when he wrote Trout Fishing in America. We did indeed pass several hot springs, such as the ones he might have stopped in with his ‘woman’, as well as driving by a stream that made me think of trout streams sold by the yard in his book. One hot spring had a sign advertising the fact it offered RV parking and, of all things, pizza. I felt sad traveling through this country, unable to hop in any hot spring or swimming hole because I have my period early. In fact, earlier in the day I had a little scare, and stopped by St. Benedict’s hospital in Jerome, Idaho because a procedure I had done over a week ago caused unexpected bleeding. I’m sure that women have a lot more done to them by doctors than men would ever consent to. I will have to visit Yellowstone again another time to enjoy the beauty of the water.
In spite of my hospital visit, we made it to Grand Teton National Park, and I am writing this in a tent at camp spot C71 in Flagg Ranch campground. Hopefully the bears will ignore the applecores I planted outside.
Why are motorcycles allowed in campgrounds?
I feel thankful that my son is so stoical. He actually seems to enjoy listening to Country on the radio, and both of us can even bear 1-2 minutes of Jesus rock before switching over. He is writing a journal about the radio stations.
Stoicism was in order, too, when several miles of road through the park were unpaved as a result of roadworks. But, going with the flow, we made it here and found a spot for our tent, even though Lizard Creek (which had been our original destination) was full. So, incredibly, we are actually ahead of plans on this journey..
No comments:
Post a Comment